When it comes to being smart, you do not have to burn the night lamp to ace your exam. The advent of technology allows us access to information as well as products that would help us better ourselves. If you want to be smarter than a fifth grader or want to improve your memory, then it is time for you to get to know what nootropics are.
Nootropics are smart drugs, what science calls as “cognitive enhancers”, these drugs, or supplements, help improve the brain function such as memory, learning, creativity and other functions that deals with cognitive development. Aside from improving cognitive functions, the drug is also purportedly said to help individuals that are diagnose with motor function disorders or cognitive such as Alzheimer, ADHD, Parkinson and Huntington’s disease.
Types of Nootropics
Depending on what results that one wants, there are seven different types of nootropics. Below are just a brief for each one.
- Racetams. This is the most common nootropics and the most popular. The oldest known nootropic, Piracetam, belongs to this group. Racetam is use for memory improvement, concentration, moods and learning abilities. Aside from this, it also helps increase cell regrowth while decreasing cell deterioration.
- Choline. Choline is generally found in the human body however, most individuals are diagnosed with deficiency. Choline is responsible for memory and learning however, they are mostly beneficial when taken with another nootropic.
- Vitamin B Derivatives. These nootropics are obtained for their B vitamin effect. The supplements obtained is use to increase energy level and treat fatigue. It contains subutiamine, which helps boost memory and can be used to treat degenerative disorders.
- Peptides. Noopept, the most common type for this particular type is use to allow the crossing of blood brain carrier and closely resembles the effects of Racetams. In that, it mimics the abilities of Racetam in terms of increasing alertness level, improving memory and learning capabilities as well as increasing motivation and brain energy.
- Ampakines. One of the newer type of nootropics, it affects the glutamate receptors which are responsible for learning and memory but are more powerful than Racetam.
- Natural. Natural nootropics are plant-based meaning that the ingredients are obtained from plants that are known for their therapeutic effects. Examples are gingko biloba and bacopi monneri.
- Smart drugs. Smart drugs are not nootropics, but sometimes mistakenly called. Some of these drugs are stimulants and as such are not really nootropics. Some of the drugs are used to treat ADHD or promote concentration. Due to the possibility of addiction for people who have abused drugs in the past, some, such as Modafinil are regulated.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9516895